how to make ensalada verde (authentic dominican green salad)
Today I’m showing you how to make Ensalada Verde (authentic Dominican green salad ) a fresh, colorful, and super healthy salad with a vinegar dressing.
This salad seems to be very basic, but it's definitely not. It has a lot of texture, colors, and tastes. It tastes sweet, sour, salty, and crunchy all at the same time.
Ingredients for the Ensalada Verde (authentic Dominican green salad)
white cabbage.This is going to be the base of the salad. We will need to slice the cabbage very thin to make a good salad base out of it. White cabbage is packed with nutrients. The salad is rich in Vitamin K, Vitamin C, Folate, Manganese, Vitamin B6, Calcium, and Potassium.
tomatoes.We are using big colorful tomatoes. The different colors bring also different flavors, that’s very important, as we are keeping the salad very basic.
cucumber.The low-calorie healthy vegetable is going to add a lot of juiciness and freshness to the salad.
beetroot.The beautiful purple vegetable brings so much aroma to this delicious salad. We will need cooked beetroot. So you will need to peel and cook the beetroot before using it or you can buy cooked organic beetroot. You can read about the health benefits of beetroot here
onions.White or red onion, that’s on you.
vinegar.Use white or apple cider vinegar. I love apple cider vinegar, but for this recipe, I prefer white vinegar.
olive oil.High quality as we need the best taste and of course health benefits out of our oil.
How to eat the salad
How to store the salad
- If you’re in a rush, buy pre cooked beetroot. If you have access to already cut organic white cabbage, this will help too. The salad will be done in less than 3 minutes.
- If you’re meal prep in the salad then don’t pour the dressing over. store the salad and dressing separately. The salad is going to last for about 5 days in the fridge.
Ingredients for the recipe:
|1||medium size beetroot|
- If you have raw beetroot, peel it, put it in a small pot with water and cook it for about 10 minutes. When done, put it out of the water and let it cool off.
- In the meantime cut the white cabbage in quarters. Remove the end part ( center part).
- Now you can slice the salad into thin shreds. But if you have a food processor or any equipment which can slice the salad, then use it.
- Wash the salad and place it on a big plate (or bowl).
- Wash the tomatoes and cucumber.
- Slice the tomatoes into rings and put them on top of the cabbage.
- Peel the cucumber and slice it into rings.
- Put it on a side on top of the cabbage or add it to the bowl.
- Peel the onion and cut it into rings.
- Add it to the other ingredients.
- Slice the cooked beetroot into rings and add it to the plate /bowl
- Add 50 ml vinegar to a small glass. Add 1 tsp of salt to it. Mix it well together. Add 3 tbsp olive oil.
- Pour it over the salad and mix everything well together.
THIS COULD BE YOUR NEXT LUNCH
dreamy creamy coconut feta pastaAre you looking for a delicious simple, fast made pasta recipe, which you have never had before ? This heavenly delicious dreamy creamy coconut feta pasta is one for the books
amazing moro de maiz (best corn rice recipe)Are you in the mood for some rice but want to level it up? This amazing Moro de Maíz aka the best corn rice recipe will fully do its job and impress you. It is the simplest, most delicious and nourishing dish ever.
saucy and juicy pineapple chickenThis saucy & juicy pineapple chicken recipe is full of flavor, juicy and colorful. The perfect recipe to celebrate life the Caribbean way.
the most easy and delicious 4 ingredient pumpkin tortellini soupAre you looking for a simple, fast, healthy and delicious soup? The most easy and delicious 4 ingredient pumpkin tortellini soup, it is. A hit in our family and soon yours too.
all year healthy and creamy vegetarian wild rice soupAre you looking for a good, nourishing, colorful, easy and fast to make, delicious soup? Then you should try this delicious all year healthy & creamy vegetarian wild rice soup which has a lot of vitamins, good carbs and thanks to the bean’s tons of protein.